A Monopoly of Mongols

The Wargames Directory Forums The latest Wargaming News Blogs A Monopoly of Mongols

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      PHGamer
      Participant

Round 5 of the The Great Semi-Annual-Mini-Tournament-Of-2020/1
      L’Art de la Guerre, 120 points, special board.
      The Mongols, undeterred by the great wind that sank their last fleet, are having another go at Japan
      https://philonancients.blogspot.com/2021/03/a-monopoly-of-mongols.html
      enjoy

TheWazyrian
      Participant

Samurai… and Mongols??? You have my complete attention!

I have been interested in Mongols since grade school, and Samurai, since well before my first Kurosawa film.

Not knowing the rule system, and being unfamiliar with the system devised to allow play over the telephone, I was still quite able to follow this, due to the great explanations at the beginning of the report. I must say, I love that this set up allows double-blind deployment. Deployment, and how you arrange your army is then, crucial. I’m sure this makes for a real nail-biter, until the enemy’s deployment is revealed. In my mind, this would really help me feel like I’m the general on the field.

Once again, it appears you were using L’Art de la Guerre, in 15mm. I’ve been tempted by Ancients of late. I have a couple of questions about the rules, if you are willing to field them:

Would L’Art de la Guerre be well-suited to smaller scales? I usually do 10mm, but I was thinking about trying Ancients in 2mm. Would it handle these scales well?

It looks like the armies involved in this engagement are relatively small and easy to build, quickly. Is this a typical engagement size for L’Art de la Guerre? Does it handle larger numbers of figures, well?

This looks like it was a blast to play. Deployment was, indeed, crucial. However, maneuver, melee, and the disordering effect of missiles have their part to play in the outcome, as well. The humor you include in your BatReps makes them a real pleasure to read. Speaking of which, I really loved the ‘Tree of Woe’, for keeping track of casualties and victory conditions. I may need to introduce a similar institution, on my table.

Thanks for yet another interesting BatRep, and for this glimpse into your ongoing campaign!

-W

Editor
      Keymaster

Thank you for sharing to the forum

Take care

Andy

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.