Work in progress on my M-48 Chaparrals

The Wargames Directory Forums The latest Wargaming News Blogs Work in progress on my M-48 Chaparrals

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      TheWazyrian
      Participant

Hello, and welcome to my most recent lockdown project. 🙂

Looks like this is gonna kinda be a ‘Blog-in-Reverse’. 😉 Now that I’ve finished my Chaparrals, it’s time to document the struggle!

Without further adieu, let’s wade in!

I have needed air defense for my modern U.S., Israeli, and other forces I wish to simulate on the table. At the time of acquisition, this was the only miniature I could find of an M-48 Chaparral, surface-to-air missile launcher, to compliment my metal miniatures of M-163 Vulcans, by MiniFigs.

Thus, this was my starting point:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/9PS2QW4SL/m-730a1-chaparral?optionId=78922943

As the miniature did NOT come with missiles, I searched all over for affordable aim-9 sidewinders, in 144 scale. If I didn’t want to buy four aircraft kits, my only option at the time was Shapeways, again. This time, the only thing I could find was sidewinders sculpted for 144 scale ‘Gundam’ giant robots:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/VQ3B8EEWT/sidewinder-missiles-for-aerial-chivalry?etId=158952528&option=59447192

The missiles are wildly out of scale. 🙁 We made it work, though, I think. 🙂

I wish I’d taken pics of the missiles. All eight were printed as one piece, with integral launch pylons. The missiles required some ‘whittling’. 🙂 Here’s a shot of both vehicles, after adding a plank for stowage, and a little work with epoxy putty:

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is m48chap1_1.jpg

Further work with epoxy putty, to add further stowage, and to try out my new silicone shapers! I believe I also ate cashews… 😉

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is m48chap1_2.jpg

To mount the turrets, I added a plate on the underside for the turret ring to rest on. I then filled the underside with epoxy putty. Ready for priming!

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is m48chap1_3.jpg

Primed! Just prior to priming them, I noticed from reference photos that the stowed camo net on one vehicle should be wider. I added this, before spraying:

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is m48chap1_4.jpg

After priming, I block-painted in all the basic colors. As I was about to do my stylized window paint scheme, there was a RUSSIAN INVASION, and I was forced to do the windows on a few more vehicles.

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is m48chap1_5.jpg

With windows finished, I painted in a few pre-wash details, and next did a drybrush highlight. At this stage, they were ready for decals.

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is m48chap1_6.jpg

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is m48chap1_7.jpg

With decals done, they received a wash of Army Painter Soft Tone, all over. The tracks got Strong Tone:

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is m48chap1_8.jpg

10mm Wargaming

Very nice work

TheWazyrian
        Participant

My sincere thanks! They were a lot of fun! It’s given me some fuel to spend on the next project.

TheWazyrian
      Participant

At this point, they turned out just too dark. This had been bothering me, and, although the accompanying M-163 vehicles were finished over a year ago, I still thought they were rather dark, as well. In a recent conversation with my good friend, Andrew, he gave me a tip that solved my problem, I think. Though the photos are terrible, I’m pleased with the finished models. They were all a pleasure to work on.

I’ll try to get better pics of these, perhaps on the battlefield. Thanks for reading along!

M-48 Chaparral and M-163 Vulcan.

Vehicles from 1st, 3rd, and 4th Batteries. Fictional Division.

Editor
        Keymaster

They look absolutely brilliant I was glad I could help

Take care

Andy

TheWazyrian
        Participant

I’ve learned about photography from you, as well. I’ll try to put that knowledge into practice, soon. 🙂 These pics were atrocious. I need light…

-W

Editor
        Keymaster

I don’t know about that my photography is only about average if that, thank you for your kind comments.

Take care

Andy

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.