Pendraken Miniatures Painting Competition Submission.

The Wargames Directory Forums The latest Wargaming News Blogs Pendraken Miniatures Painting Competition Submission.

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
      TheWazyrian
      Participant

Pendraken Miniatures is running a painting competition, this month. I know that our forum, here, at The Wargames Directory is just kicking off, but I thought I’d start a forum thread about this, in case anyone is interested in participating, or just following along. I plan to submit something (if I can get it assembled and painted in time!). I will posting my own miniatures, here. I invite anyone interested in this painting competition to join in. Let’s see what you’re working on!

From Pendraken’s own announcement, here on The Wargames Directory:

“Painting Competition 2021!
      It’s back! After a hiatus of too many years the Pendraken Painting Competition will return and will be running throughout February. With so many of us stuck at home it’s the perfect time to get some painting done and give us all something to focus on. You can enter anything you’ve painted over the previous 12 months so anything from the various lockdowns is eligible. We hope to see loads of entries this year and we can all have something positive to talk about for a month.”

Personally, I’ll be submitting some of Pendraken’s brilliant British Army of the Rhine vehicles from the 1980’s, in 10mm.

Let’s see what you’re working on!

-W

Editor
      Keymaster

Pendraken painting competition is something I normally enter, unfortunately I haven’t got anything done this year to enter if I get time I will knock something up

Take care

Andy

TheWazyrian
      Participant

Andy,

I just checked out the official rules. Looks like it’s running until February 28th, so you still have some time to crank out a new unit or two, if opportunity permits. However, they’re also allowing any Pendraken miniatures you’ve finished in the last twelve months! 🙂

-W

Editor
        Keymaster

I’ll see what I can do

Looking forward to seeing your entries W! There’s still a couple of weeks to go so plenty of time to grab some photos and get them in!

Editor
        Keymaster

I think I’m going to do a troop of Soviet tanks

Take care

Andy

TheWazyrian
      Participant

Outstanding! I’ll be selecting models, tonight, and cleaning them. I may even get as far as assembly. I’m new to this forum, but I was hoping to post some pics, here. I’ll see if I can figger out how to pull that off. 😉

-W

Editor
        Keymaster

I was going to add my World War II Cossacks which I painted, but unfortunately I did them in 2019 so out of date

I think I might paint a couple of Soviet tanks

Take care

Andy

TheWazyrian
      Participant

Arrrrhgh! I commend your honesty, Sir. Those Cossacks are just gorgeous! I’d be voting for those, over mine own submission. I have some of those same Cossacks. I hope that when I get around to mine, they look half as good as yours. I’d be thoroughly satisfied if I managed something half as nice as your work!

-W

Editor
        Keymaster

Thanks mate much appreciated to be honest though I just class my painting as average. I shall look forward to seeing your Cossacks done

Take care

Andy

TheWazyrian
      Participant

I’ve decided what British vehicles I’ll be working on. I’m building a small British Army of the Rhine armored force for a friend. I’ll be knocking out some pieces by another manufacturer, as well as these pieces, by Pendraken:

1x MDV-20

1x MDV-30

2x MDV-47

and I plan to do some Ferrets, as well:

1x MDV-35

1x MDV-36

1x MDV-37

From those, I’ll choose the four that turned out closest to ‘Acceptable’, and enter those.

-W

Editor
        Keymaster

I shall look forward to seeing your progress on these

Take care

Andy

Editor
      Keymaster

ok I’ll be painting some of Pendrakens T28

Take care

Andy

Editor
        Keymaster

Undercoated

first coat of Russian Vallejo Green

black wash

Thats it for today

Take care

Andy

Editor
        Keymaster

Second coat of Russian Vallejo Green dry brushed leaving the black wash in the crevices

Highlighted with Vallejo Iraqi sand, lightly dry brushed highlighting the edges of the model

Bases painted and covered with Jarvis number 32 Dark Earth

Thats it for now

Take care

Andy

Editor
        Keymaster

Tracks painted with Vallejo Mahogany Brown

Bases finished off with Noch Summer Meadow Grass

Thats it ready to enter Pendraken painting competition

Take care

Andy

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Editor.
      TheWazyrian
      Participant

Andy, they’re looking brilliant!

I have reached a bit of a temporary impasse. MDV-47, the Centurion Bridge Layer, is fourteen pieces. This, in itself, is not a problem. What is causing me a slight problem is… I have NO idea where some of these fourteen pieces go!

I have been pouring over reference photos, pics of model kits, and even photographic walkarounds, and I’m still at a loss as to where a great many of these pieces go.

I’ll keep at it. I still have eleven days…

-W

Editor
        Keymaster

Thank you for your nice comments

Does the manufacturer produce an assembly guide if not it sounds like it needs one.

Take care

Andy

Editor
      Keymaster

T-35 heavy tank

I enjoyed painting those T-28s so much I decided to do a few more.

I didn’t bother showing pictures of the undercoating

First coat of Russian Vallejo Green

Black wash

Second coat of Russian Vallejo Green dry brushed leaving the black wash in the crevices

Highlighted with Vallejo Iraqi sand, lightly dry brushed highlighting the edges of the model

Thats it for now

Take care

Andy

TheWazyrian
      Participant

Andy, I’m glad this competition has inspired you! The T-35’s are gorgeous. I have at least two of those, myself. I should probably be finishing those, as I’ve already started them, but I’ve committed myself to making some progress on my friend’s modern British.

Right now, I’m busy balking on assembly. I was intimidated by the bridge layer. I still have no idea how to assemble part of it. I’ll have better luck with the AVRE and the ARV. I should have some progress, tonight. Still trying to find a pic hosting site.

-W

Editor
        Keymaster

As always thank you for your kind comments.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Take care

Andy

TheWazyrian
      Participant

I’ve made some progress on the AVRE. Assembly should be fairly straightforward with that one. I’m waiting to hear back from the owner as to whether he’d like the fascine permanently affixed, or left off. It’s ready for assembly.

The Centurion ARV is proving difficult. I think I’ve worked out where all the parts go. There are only eight pieces to the ARV. The problem I am having is determining how I will assemble it to be durable, handle-able, and transportable. My arch-nemesis will likely be transporting this to battle. On first inspection, it looks like this model would be rather fragile once assembled. It gives me pause…

The Centurion AVLB (bridge layer) is STILL fourteen pieces. I am STILL bewildered by it. Neither of those factors seems to have changed, no matter how much I stare at it, no matter how long I balk on it. I’ve posted asking for help in Pendraken’s forum. The only pic on Pendraken’s site doesn’t show the bridge-laying assembly on the bow. Studying walkarounds and books hasn’t gotten me the information I need. I have the same problem here as with the ARV – how will I make it durable, once I’ve figured out where all the parts go?

I have three variations of the Ferret by Pendraken that I’ll be doing for my friend’s British 1980’s force. Each is a maximum of three pieces. I think I can get my head around assembly of those. I may wind up entering those, if I can’t figure out how to assemble the Centurion variants.

Though slowly, and in the eleventh hour, I’m getting a start, at last.

-W

Editor
        Keymaster

I’m absolutely positive you all manage to sort these models out. I’m so looking forward to seeing your finished models.

Take care

Andy

TheWazyrian
      Participant

I’ve made some small progress on four vehicles, but not a tremendous amount. I’ve been having a hard time lately. I just haven’t been feeling it, as far as the miniatures. Will have to see how it goes. My sincere apologies. It has been a trying week…

-W

Editor
        Keymaster

Absolutely no worries at all mate hope you feel better soon

Take care

Andy

TheWazyrian
      Participant

Apologies about the lack of posts, folks. I’ve been having trouble making any progress, these last few weeks. Tonight, I had a modeling session with a friend in Eastern Europe, via the Internet. It helped me get inspired. Rather than work on assembly, I figured I’d try something a little more immediately rewarding. I did some painting on some 10mm 3D printed pieces that I’d already started. I need these for an upcoming Cold War Commander game. Progress was slow, but encouraging. It helped get the creative energy going. I’ll be getting back to the British Army of the Rhine, soon. The first vehicles I’ll be turning out will likely be three of Pendraken’s Ferret scout vehicles. I’ll probably do the Centurion AVRE, at the same time.

This army is comprised of models from at least four different manufacturers (all British, of course!), and as such, I will probably start a separate blog, just for this project. I still plan to document progress on the Pendraken pieces, here.

Thanks for bearing with me, folks. More will follow… 🙂

-W

Editor
        Keymaster

I’m glad you’ve got your modelling mojo back it’s very easy to lose it.

The main problem for me is just ordinary life gets in the way. Anyway I shall look forward to seeing some of your completed projects.

Take care

Andy

TheWazyrian
      Participant

Andy,

I noticed that you didn’t base the T-35’s in the photos, as you did the T-28’s. Have you since based them?

Do you base all of your vehicles?

-W

Editor
        Keymaster

The only reason I didn’t base the T-35s was id run out of MDF bases in that size. As a general rule a base all my miniatures as I find it protects them from scratches.

Take care

Andy

TheWazyrian
      Participant

I just realized… I never even VOTED in the competition. I have REALLY been out of it, lately. 😉

-W

Editor
        Keymaster

I think you can still vote to be honest

Take care

Andy

TheWazyrian
        Participant

Thanks for the heads-up on voting! I placed my votes in the Vehicle category. I found Womble67’s work to be the best, hands-down.

-W

Editor
        Keymaster

Thank you very much indeed. There are some really nice entries this year,

Here some of my favourites

Open – Single Base – Entries Only!

Open – Army – Entries Only!

Vehicle – Entries Only!

Foot – Pre 20th Century – Entries Only!

Mounted – Entries Only!

Fantasy & Sci-Fi – Entries Only!

Foot – 20th Century – Entries Only!

Take care

Andy

TheWazyrian
      Participant

I really should base my vehicles. Infantry and buildings are all based, and will look right, next to the vehicles. It protects the miniature, as well.

However, a lot of my modern and WWII vehicles are 144 scale models. Many are collectible, so I only base small and fragile vehicles. It still bothers me. I’ll probably base everything, one day. I should KNOW I’m never going to re-sell my 10mm minions…

-W

Editor
        Keymaster

You can always base them sometime in the future

Take care

Andy

TheWazyrian
      Participant

Wow… There is some incredible talent among Pendraken customers. One can learn things, just from looking at these pics of finished masterpieces.

I voted for that Vietnam M-113. I hadn’t even seen these wonderful army entries. I particularly liked one of those Fantasy entries. It was the one with the hero, mounted on a bear, with Polish winged-lancer wings.

All of those entries are worthy of their own, intrinsic discussion. That is some brilliant artwork.

-W

Editor
        Keymaster

The winners have now been announced it’s been a really good competition.

Take care

Andy

TheWazyrian
        Participant

The only surprise for me is that everyone did not win First Place. There were some beautiful entries. In addition to credit toward Pendraken purchases, the winners get a badge next to their name in the forum. Kinda cool that they’re giving recognition, like that.

I’ve said it before (so many times), and I will say it again, Pendraken takes such good care of us.

-W

Editor
        Keymaster

I know there’s some very talented people out there

Take care

Andy

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.