Aotrs Shipyards July 2017 Release: Marders (144)

The Wargames Directory Forums The latest Wargaming News Historical Aotrs Shipyards July 2017 Release: Marders (144)

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Aotrs Shipyards

Aotrs Shipyards is a web store on Shapeways.com, a 3D print house which had production and shipping facilities located in the USA and the Netherlands.

(Cross-linking to the 3D print boards because the photos of the new material in beta (see below) might also be of interest.)

A little late because of being unable to post on the forums, but here is this month’s release: the Marder 1A1 and 1A2 in 144th!

There are two versions of each model: one with the MILAN in position, and one with the MILAN removed from its mounting. (I have not made the dismounted MILAN, because it would be too fiddly; and the position made it impossible to make it removable like the machine guns on other models).

The idea is that if desired, you could swap turret when the MILAN is dismounted by the infantry in lieu of having to have a marker. (Or, alternatively, just prefer to have the model without one, which would be a little more damage tolerant!) I will be releasing a set of turret spares (nominally a half-dozen of both MILAN mounted and removed for each variant) shortly, for those that might want to have both for that former use use.

I have not done the base Marder 1 (for one I simply did not find any references photos to work from), but from what my limited understanding is, the only visible surface difference to the pre-1977 Marder 1a was the MILAN mount was missing. If there is interest, then, it is a fairly trivial job to create a variant without the mounting.

A general note. I use (unfortunately) Photobucket for my images for the purposes of linkage. (As you can imagine, storage was never an issue with the amount of data I have to keep, I have a very extensive set of back-ups, including off-site backups for all my data!) I was – fortunately – paying for it already (though given that they fracked me around with that, they were already in my bad books), so from what I can gather from the internet (since they have not had the decency to send me any emails about it, though they have sent plenty of spam advertising this and that), my links will remain until the end of the year. Funnily enough, I will NOT be paying $400.00 USD a year for the privilege of being able to link stuff to forum posts and whatnot; that is a sizeable proportion of my actual income from the webstore. I will, when I have some spare time to do so, start looking for an alternative. As I can’t edit old posts on these forums, unfortunately this will mean (unless Photobucket change their minds) that the links to all the photos will no longer show the photos. (I will not, however, being emptying and closing my account unless it becomes obvious that after that time that the legacy “pay us money to have this work” links don’t take you to the image at all, which I’m not sure about.) If I could edit them, I’m bloody minded enough that I would have done it.

If folk have suggestions as to others suitable sites (paid is acceptable, so long as it is not a stupid price) for the purposes of linking images, I would welcome the suggestions.

Right, to business!

Marder 1A1

Marder 1A1

link

MILAN removed

link

Marder 1A2

Marder 1A2

link

MILAN removed

link

Photos, as per usual, are of the Replicator 2 prototypes. Notably, the complex turret of the Marder is not, as you can see, best suited for Replicator prints – so apologise for that. But I always figure that a photo of the real model is better than a render (which you can see on Shapeways anyway!)

Secondly, I have some photos of the T-80BV in WSF as promised.

T-80BV WSF

T-80BV WSF

I can also show you the T-80BV in the upcoming HP Grey Strong and Flexible material, currently in beta for creators only. This material has been created in conjunction with HP by Shapeways. The new material is slightly better than WSF in terms of sharpness of detail and surface finish. You can see some comparison pictures below. (The surface looks a lot rougher than it is; it’s actually smoother than WSF – it’s just mottled in colour.) At the moment, the price is only about a pound more for the T-80BV. Assuming it does not vary wildly (and I think the intention is it shouldn’t), HPGSW will be a cheaper alternative to having to use the much more expensive frosted detail materials. I will be putting another order possibly later this week, and we shall try painting the next batch to see how that works. How strong it truly is remains to be seen, but it seems from the cursory inspection to be at least as sturdy WSF.

(Not looking foward about having to go back through 300-odd models to set it up once released, mind…!)

I have elected not to reduce the image size these pictures (like I normally do as above), on the basis that for this instance, giving you a better look at the new material seems the best option.

T-80BV HPGSF

T-80BV HPGSF picture 2

Comparison with WSF (normally with WSF, I tweak the contrast, so you can see the detail better, but doing that with these shots made the GSF too dark.)

WSF v HPGSF picture 1

WSF v HPGSF picture 2

WSF v HPGSF picture 3

Next month’s release is unconfirmed, though there is a fair chance it will be the Marder 1A3 or the Unimog it will really depend on how the last bits of preparation for my starship rules and for the upcoming convention take and whether I will have time to do a new vehicle.

Shapeways, Aotrs Shipyards

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.