Aotrs Shipyards August 2023 Release: Panhard VBL

The Wargames Directory Forums The latest Wargaming News Modern Aotrs Shipyards August 2023 Release: Panhard VBL

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Aotrs Shipyards

Aotrs Shipyards August 2023 Release: Panhard VBL

Slightly early release this time, because I’m away next week. (Likewise, this month’s sci-fi release will be delayed.) Short release; longer update (see end!)

This time, something different – the Panhard VBL (in 144th as per usual). After the nightmare of the Bradleys (and in addition to the bedroom redecoration disruption) I wanted something relatively quick and easy.

Panhard VBL

Direct price: £2.85

The Only-Games price: £1.71 Link

Shapeways price: £3.55 Link

Photos of Prusa versions.

Next month is likely to be More Bradleys (likely some of the A3 versions).

I also intend to do some more variants of the VBL as well; but we have both the Hereward Wargames Show coming up on the 3rd of September and Other Partizan the following month, so we’ll see how things pan out what I do. (I do have the backlog to dip into, so there is no danger of their not being a moderns release in any case).

However, as I always pride myself on being up-front; this week I also received notification that I am being moved over to the Universal Credit Scheme from Working Tax Credit. This is always a concern, of course, because notoriously, changes like this have gotten used as an excuse to try and get as many people off benefits as possible for PR (usually ending up targeting those who most need it and who are least able to fight back, as we have experienced with my mother). I thus fully expect, despite me turning up to the appointment with a massive stack of evidence (including among them the special commission sale I did for the New Zealand Armed Forces…) – which I WILL make them look through – them to try the “you’re not making enough money” “what’s enough money then, what are the guidelines” “we don’t *have* any guidelines” “okay, so how can you guarantee me or anyone else that you’re not just being arbitrary and that this is a fair assessment, do I need to make an Official Complaint and write to my PM again” “umm…” routine that I had the last time. Which is basically stress I don’t really need (especially as some additional family health issues with my mother’s older sibling, which are likely to only deteriorate).

In theory, the decision won’t even be made until September, but whatever it is might have an impact on the Shipyards; if they approve things, all hunky-dory, if not, things are going to go decidedly A Bit South and I can’t even really make anything more than tentative plans until I see how it plays out. (Do I try Doing A Pateron? Accelerate the file-sales?) Maybe I’m worrying for nothing, but that really wouldn’t be in-character for the modern world, would it?

In other news, Shapeways have replaced the grey fine detail plastic with tan detail plastic at the same price point and have “sunsetted” (urgh) the smooth fine detail and smoothest fine detail – as expected. In theory, nothing should be changed with the change over, but if you find a glitch, please do let me know. (Or, like, use Only-Games anyway, since they’re a better and cheaper product!)

In addition, Shapeways are trying to implement a pilot scheme to sell .stl files as well as prints. I am not getting into this pilot program until they take it more seriously; the pilot scheme is a fixed price of $10 for sales and a 50/50 split… Less than I get from Wargames Vault and with no control. Plus to be viable, they’d have to allow the sale of files that they DON’T print, since the hollow Shapeways models are not suitable for FDM printing… So don’t expect any movement on that front from me for a while.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.