Ambush in Vienna an Anno Domini 1666 Battlereport

The Wargames Directory Forums The latest Wargaming News Blogs Ambush in Vienna an Anno Domini 1666 Battlereport

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      PHGamer
      Participant

An after action report of the game Anno Domini 1666.
      Anno Domini 1666 is a swashbuckling adventure game set with characters based on real-world history and famous novel.
      I cannot play this game without music from Robin Hood and Zorro playing out in my head. Everything plays out like the massive swordplay scenes wrapping up these movies. The only thing missing seems to be a chandelier.
      https://philonancients.blogspot.com/2021/03/ambush-in-vienna.html
      “This is the most fun I’ve had, since the world was young.”
      –Alan Swan, played by Peter O’Toole, acting as Errol Flynn

The board

TheWazyrian
      Participant

Phil, first:

“We are the lunatic fringe (as in Ancients Miniature Wargamers), of a subset (as in Miniature Wargamers), of a fragment (Wargamers), of a minority (Gamers) of society as a whole.”

You are speaking my language! While I’m not (yet…) into ancients, you may yet make a believer out of me!

I had to go to your site to read the full encounter, on this one. This was a real pleasure to follow.

The storytelling in this game is so enjoyable. Is that your own addition, or is it worked into the game mechanics?

“Athos leaps from the shadows! His rapier strikes the heart of Skrzetuski before he is even aware he is there. Zagloba dives into the nearby house, and excuses himself to the no-longer-sleeping family. His manner is courteous and delightful. This is not their first drunk to stagger in late at night.”

I was so glad that he survived Athos’ surprise attack!

I really enjoyed the ‘thrust and parry’ of how the combats played out. The special abilities, like “Call Me Uncle”, add a lot of background and flavor. The game components look to be top notch. I’m finding myself very tempted to pick up a copy of ‘Anno Domini 1666’, now. I have a friend in Poland who I’d love to play this with.

Oh, and just in case you still need one…

https://www.myminifactory.com/de/object/3d-print-chandelier-127131

Thanks so much for this adventure!

-W

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.