A Greatness of Greeks, a LADG Battle Report

The Wargames Directory Forums The latest Wargaming News Blogs A Greatness of Greeks, a LADG Battle Report

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      PHGamer
      Participant

Because a definition of insanity is to do the same thing again, and expect a different result, I took the Greeks out again against the Romans.
      Its Hoplites vs. Legionaries in this LADG Battle Report
      https://philonancients.blogspot.com/2021/03/a-greatness-of-greeks.html
      Enjoy

Rome

Hoplites

Editor
      Keymaster

Another excellent battle report thank you for taking the time to share.

Take care

Andy

TheWazyrian
      Participant

“Greece, 250 BC, Tuesday.

Weather high of 72, low of 54, chance of 30 mina hail stones.”

I LOVE these battle reports! Probably what I love most is the humor you inject into them. I also wind up learning new things, with every one I read.

Your explanation of “Conventions” used, at the beginning is tremendously helpful, for those of us unfamiliar with the rules system. What I really appreciate is that you explain things in such a way that even a neophyte, like me, can understand a bit of how the game works. I also appreciate that you explain the tactics and doctrine of these ancient armies in terms I can understand. I don’t know how you manage it, but those shots from ‘on high’ are quite helpful, too. The graphic overlays work well, too! “HEUS!”

I also particularly liked the pre-report discussion of your ideas about deployment and army composition, which you follow up brilliantly at the end with post-battle conclusions. As a result of your battle reports, I am getting more and more interested in L’Art de la Guerre. I’m curious whether it would work well with 2mm scaled miniatures. This battle looks to be pretty big, but I’m curious how the system would handle games that are even larger…

I was rooting for your Greeks, the whole time.

Please convey my Kongrats to the Cretan light infantry that took down that catapult. In the last batrep I read, the catapult crew held their ground against a charge. It was good to see something a little more realistic happen, here.

Once again, I love the Tree of Woe, with the vultures. I’m gonna try to come up with something similar for keeping track of casualties and victory conditions, in my War Room. I’m truly sorry that Ares did not favor you. Perhaps there was an error during the pre-battle sacrifice. Perhaps the entrails were-misread. It’s probably nothing, but summary executions of all those Greek seers who were consulted might be prudent. 😉

Thanks for yet another enjoyable, and informative battle report. I’ll be doing more research on L’Art de la Guerre, methinks. 🙂

-W

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.