Aotrs Shipyards Moderns Release Compilation Thread

The Wargames Directory Forums The latest Wargaming News Modern Aotrs Shipyards Moderns Release Compilation Thread

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author
      Aotrs Shipyards

Hello, Wargame Directory forum users users! I am Aotrs Commander (or Bleakbane), the owner of Aotrs Shipyards.

This thread will compile the moderns released, linking the posts here in this thread for conveniance of location ((I’ll be doing the same for the sci-foi releases in the sci-fo section). (I’m doing it this way, since the early experiments Andy and I did indicated that the forums did not like using more than one picture per forum post, but doing the actual posts through WordPress gave a better, more polished result!)

For those of you unfamiliar, I produce 144th scale modern armour (10 or 12mm depending on who you talk to), as well as 144th sci-fi and starships (I also take commission work). The models are available as FDM prints directly from me (contact me via Facebook) or from my webshops at TheShop3D and Shapeways. I aim to release at least one modern (and some times more) once per month, aimed for about the second week in the month, circumstances depending. (I release sci-fi models once per month, usually the following week; these tend to be less regular, but when they do come out, it tends to be n batches of four to five models.)

You can find my most complete back-catalogue at the Shapeways store, or by joining the Aotrs Shipyards Task Group on Facebook (which was, annoyingly, the only way FB would let me upload a file of sufficient size and update it for everyone to be able to look at). As of time of writing, the back catalogue is not completed yet, but will slowly be filled out in time. The catalogue contains a complete list, but not all the direct-sales prices or photos, since it required re-printing (and updating) each and every model; at time of posting, the majority of the moderns is done, however.Anyone interested in something not currently priced up need only to contact me and I can fast track that to be sorted.

(Likewise, the selection of models at TheShop3D is fairly small and only my most recent, updated models as it is only a month or two old – again, anyone interested in having any of my models done there which are NOT up yet, please contant me and I can get that sorted.)

Links:

Facebook page

Aotrs Shipyards Task Force – join the group to be able to download the direct-print catalogue (beta).

TheShop3D

Shapeways

So, having said all that, all the remains is to link the actual release post!

Septemeber 2020 Moderns Release Dingo 2 GE A3.3 (144th)

Editor
      Keymaster

Looks really good

Take care

Andy

TheWazyrian
      Participant

This Dingo had me drooling for a patrol of them, but I’m finding more and more that I think I need. The Fennek scout vehicles are brilliant, and I will not be able to live without the Hilux ‘Technicals’.

The difference in the materials between the white nylon and TheShop3D’s grey resin is really evident in the photos in the link. I’d always been happy at this scale with the detail achieved in the white nylon, but that smooth, crisp detail of the resin, coupled by the fact that it has some durability over more brittle resins, as well as a lower price… I’m sold!

Aotrs Shipyards
      Aotrs Shipyards

Here’s November’s release post link.

Moderns Release: November 2020: BREM-1 (144th)

TheWazyrian
      Participant

Alright, it looks like I will need to compile a list! I most definitely need one of these BREM-1’s for my T-72 fleet. I did some brief searching, and found that these could be used by almost any nation that fields the T-72. Furthermore, due to the lack of Soviet/Russian-manufactured recovery vehicles, these can be used to support other tank designs, even in the Russian and former Soviet armed forces. Czechoslovakia (during the Soviet-Warsaw Pact Era), The Czech Republic, and The Ukraine have developed their own variants, but just about any other army can use these alongside almost any Russian-designed tank or armored fighting vehicle. They have also been known to be employed in the recovery of wheeled vehicles.

I particularly like that it’s available with the crane being used, as well as stowed. That’s a really good excuse for buying two – one to represent a recovery operation in progress, and another for when the vehicle is on the move.

More to add to my shopping list!

I learned a lot from this link: ===> http://www.military-today.com/engineering/brem1.htm

-W

Aotrs Shipyards

Here’s this month’s release post.

Aotrs Shipyards

(Oops, almost forgot to update this!)

Here’s this month’s release post, which has the release – the BREM-1 armoured recovery vehicle – and also some of the resin models (albiet scifi) painted up.

Aotrs Shipyards

Here’s this month’s release post, which has the release – the TOS-1A “Buratino” Heavy Flamethrower (the BM-1 launcher vehicle specifically).

Moderns Release: December 2020: TOS-1A “Buratino” Heavy Flamethrower (144th)

Aotrs Shipyards

Here’s this month’s release post, for another Boxer variant, the Dutch Geniegroep GNGP “Genine.”

Moderns Release: January 2021: Boxer GNGP “Genie” (144th)

Aotrs Shipyards

Here’s Feburary’s (late) month’s release post, for the Yamaha Grizzy 450 quad bike, as used by the British Army.

Aotrs Shipyards (Late) February 2021 Release: Yamaha Grizzly 450 Quad Bike

TheWazyrian
        Participant

I absolutely, positively love these. I don’t collect British (yet…), but I would think that these could be used to represent just about any First World special forces. I would think that most nations are using ATV’s now, at least with their special forces contingents. I think I see some of these in my future.

Have you any interest in doing modern forces on motorcycles? I’ve been searching for insurgents types, as well as special forces on motorcycles, in 1:144th, or any comparable scale. I’m surprised at how hard they are to find in 10mm, 12mm, etc.

These Yamaha Grizzlies are beautiful. I have a friend who’s collecting the British Army of the Rhine. I think he’ll need a few, to modernize his force, too…

-W

Aotrs Shipyards

but I would think that these could be used to represent just about any First World special forces.

That was one general intention. At this scale, I suspect most wargamers would be hard pressed to notice significant differences (though I’m not even sure what other nations use – I picked the Yamaha Grizzly specifically because it was the first one I could find a name for). Especially since my CAD modelling skills don’t stretch to people more than the somewhat crude figures on the quads!

Early on, I did a very generic dirt bike at 25/28mm (though this in truth was just a slight expansion on a 2 1/2D cardboard version my Dad did), but I’ve not done anything at 10/12mm. (No one has previously asked, not even my Dad, the actual moderns player (he’s also the one that commissioned the quads).) I can certainly look into it at some point; it would be helpful to know what make of bikes are used, so that I know what to search for.

(At the moment I have a nominal list of next projects to do. If you are sufficiently interested in quicker than a point down the line, a commission always get bumped up to the top of the list; if you contact me through the Shipyard’s Facebook page or at Shapeways, we could discuss that.)

TheWazyrian
        Participant

I’d definitely be interested in a commission. I’ll be contacting you, directly.

As for makes of bikes, something generic would probably work. As for riders, that’s the sticking point. I need pinion riders clearly armed with an RPG-7, or similar weapon. An additional model with a rider armed with just an assault rifle would be perfect, either seated behind the driver, standing and firing forward, or seated, facing the rear.

This is the picture that has inspired my quest, taken in Beirut, probably 1982:

Militia, Beirut, RPG-7 team on motorcycle

I would think that any make of dirt bike or even civilian motorcycle would work for ‘insurgents’, or any form of irregular militia.

First World and Second World special forces should be dirt bikes, for sure, and mostly single-riders. I would think that the same motorcycle model could be used throughout all sculpts:

Of course, special forces could work with a pinion rider, too!

Unknown Forces on Motorcycle

I’ll be sending a message. You’ll be hearing from me. Thanks for being so responsive! Thanks for considering this!

-W

TheWazyrian
        Participant

*Insurgent bikes would probably have no stowage containers. Perhaps a single bike model for all, and add some generic stowage containers on the back, to represent the First World bikers, versus the Third World bikes, bare. 😉

-W

TheWazyrian
        Participant

*Also, I’ve been saving reference photos, for years. I can bombard you, if it proves useful, at all.

-W

Aotrs Shipyards

Here’s March’s release post, for the Fennek AD platoon and accompanying infantry teams.

Aotrs Shipyards March 2021 Release: Fennek AD and Teams

Aotrs Shipyards

Here’s April’s release post, for the Merkava IV.

Aotrs Shipyards April 2021 Release: Merkava IV

TheWazyrian
        Participant

I’m very surprised I missed this post lovely looking model

Aotrs Shipyards

Here’s May’s release post, two sets of bike riders (mounted on the KTM 500 Exc) – curtesy of TheWazyrian’s commission, as discussed above!

Aotrs Shipyards May 2021 Release: KTM 500 Exc Bikes

(No photo this time, since they are fundementally “infantry” level, which doesn’t come out too well on the Prusa.(The actual riders – like the quad riders and the Munda, Techbnical and Iltis crews – were accetpable (if not great), but the pillion riders made it all a bit to messy. Theothertically, we could change to the small nozzle and try that, but aside from doing the idiot proofing print test, it’s not worth the effort – since if/when I get any myself, it’ll be commercially printed anyway, just like with regular infantry.)

Aotrs Shipyards

Here’s June’s release post, for the ZSU-23-4V Shilka.

Aotrs Shipyards June 2021 Release: ZSU-23-4V Shilka

Aotrs Shipyards

Here’s June’s release post, for the Stridsvagn 103C, better known as the S-tank.

Aotrs Shipyards July 2021 Release: Stridsvagn 103C

Aotrs Shipyards

Heres’ June’s release post for the Leopard 1A4.

Aotrs Shipyards August 2021 Release: Leopard 1A4

Aotrs Shipyards

Here’s September’s release post, for the Gepard 1A2.

Aotrs Shipyards September 2021 Release: Gepard 1A2

(Oh, hey, and I remembered to change the month this time, so we don’t have three June releases in a row…!)

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Editor.
      Aotrs Shipyards

Here’s October’s release post, for the German M113s, the M113A1G and M113A2G (ETF).

Aotrs Shipyards October 2021 Release: M113A1G and M113A2G (ETF)

Aotrs Shipyards

An early November release, for the QF 25-pounder and its towing vehicle.

Aotrs Shipyards November 2021 Release and Only-Games Update: QF-25 Pounder

Aotrs Shipyards

Here’s December’s release post, for the Ferret Mk 1 Armoured Car

Aotrs Shipyards December 2021 Release: Ferret Mk 1 Armoured Car

Editor
      Keymaster

Some fantastic releases here thank you for sharing

Take care

Andy

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.